- Speaking to security and scalability issues.
- At the same time it needed to simplify the way it talked about its benefits to appeal to a bigger audience.
- It needed to support that shift by upleveling the content and making it more visual.
User Research (UX)
Interviewing customers for video case studies gave me direct insight into the core value propositions of automated testing.
Creative Direction + Production
Meeting real users and understanding our value made catering the site to those exact needs easy. After that it just needed polish.
The hard part was making sure we still sounded Sauce-y, while catering to a new enterprise audience.
The Old Home Page
The old home page I inherited was dark, did not map back to Sauce personas, and did not provide clear benefits.
- I provided the editorial guidelines in the update brand book that helped to speak to new audiences.
- I made a strategic choice to add more visual elements to the website and content to help simplify the value and benefits of testing.
- I interviewed real customers to learn what they needed in a testing product. I turned those stories into videos and case studies.
- I leveraged those customer insights and authored messaing on the website that spoke to each of those personas.
Updating + Up-leveling the Brand Book
The brand book was created to help Sauce maintain consistency in voice, tone and imagery while we scaled and catered to a new audience.
- Maintain the brand and old community.
- Expand into enterprise.
- Simplify for a global audience, investors, and analysts.
- It gave me insight into exactly what benefits of automated testing were. That helped in crafting the narrative around our value propositions.
- The video testimonials were great visual content that could be used in our onboarding emails.
- The stories were repurposed into case studies and quotes throughout the website.
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- Slide 4
- After doing deep research into who our customers were, understanding our personas was easy. I made the strategic choice to cast people who reflected those personas to live on the website’s home page. For more about the photoshoot and creative direction, read here.
- To ensure that the updated messaging and value propositions came through, I opted for rotating text in the H1 line that said, “Automated testing made (reliable, secure, scalable, awesome)”. The goal was to pique interest of enterprise companies and decision makers while maintaining the brand integrity and speak to developers. The H2 line contained several longtail keywords for SEO purposes that still helped humans understand how Sauce Labs fit within the testing ecosystem.
- Lastly, we included two buttons for lead generation and education: “free trial” and “watch video”.